From Organic Gardening Magazine summer 2004. An interesting variation on lemon rice for herb lovers using not lemon juice rather lemon scented herbs. Try this with Asian or Greek themed meals! I purposefully did not use stock for this recipe so that the fresh flavors of the herbs shine through. Wink, wink-but this may be an acquired taste for some!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup jasmine rice or 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 stalks lemongrass, stalks cut in half crosswise (or short enough to fit the pan)
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon verbena leaf, crushed slightly and cut into thin strips (read *NOTE- or 1/2 teaspoon dried lemon verbena leaves, crumbled)
- 1*NOTE: if you cannot find lemon verbena, substitue fresh lemon thyme, lemon balm, lemon bergamot, lemon basil or lemon mint.
- 2In sauce pan combine the rice, water, salt and lemongrass stalks.
- 3Cover, bring to boil, and simmer until done, approximately 25 minutes. (Can also be cooked in a rice cooker.).
- 4Remove lemongrass stalks, add the verbena leaves, fluff rice with fork to distribute the essence and transfer to serving platter.
- 5Garnish rice with a lemon verbena leaf is desired. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Adventurous Spirit Lemon-Infused Rice
Serving Size: 1 (110 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.1
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 150.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemon verbena leaves