Recipe by Chicagopm
Both (!) of my girls have had to have surgery to remove bladder stones. I asked their vet for a recipe that I can make for them that I could make instead of buying the high priced prescription dog food. This is the recipe she gave me. This recipe is for the daily feed of a 40 pound dog. I wasn't able to add two ingredients to the list so please see the directions! This freezes very well. I make enough for the week, freeze it in microwavable containers defrost/heat as needed. Both of my girls love this I'm so lucky that my (their) vet was able to find this recipe for us!
Top Review by wmlcox
Chi-town and krizzikate, Thank you for these ideas -- I add ginseng and spirulina to the mix -- and to crush eggshell -- this is superb!! I add garlic and brewers yeast to help keep bugs away also. Ooh -- to keep down the flea tic problems out here in AZ, I even use that last set of herbs add cinnamon to get pet and human pest control carpet / room freshener effect. The last three powders mix up reduce the insect situation and make the room smell delicious. Thanks again on this, eh? willeyes
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 1 7⁄8 cups instant rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup all-bran cereal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt substitute
Directions See How It's Made
- 1/2 teaspoon Calcium carbonate (Tums tablet or ground egg shells).
- 1 adult vitamin-mineral supplement (Centrum).
- Bake, fry or microwave beef and do not drain fat.
- Mix with all other ingredients except for the vitamin-mineral supplement.
- Mix well and serve immediately.
- Feed the daily vitamin-mineral supplement with the meal, give as a pill or pulverize and mix thoroughly mix with food before feeding.
- Refrigerate any unused portions. Discard unused food after 3 days.