Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Both (!) of my girls have had to have surgery to remove bladder stones. I asked their vet for a recipe that I can make for them that I could make instead of buying the high priced prescription dog food. This is the recipe she gave me. This recipe is for the daily feed of a 40 pound dog. I wasn't able to add two ingredients to the list so please see the directions! This freezes very well. I make enough for the week, freeze it in microwavable containers defrost/heat as needed. Both of my girls love this I'm so lucky that my (their) vet was able to find this recipe for us!
- 5 ounces ground beef
- 1 7⁄8 cups instant rice, cooked
- 1⁄4 cup all-bran cereal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon Calcium carbonate (Tums tablet or ground egg shells).
- 1 adult vitamin-mineral supplement (Centrum).
- Bake, fry or microwave beef and do not drain fat.
- Mix with all other ingredients except for the vitamin-mineral supplement.
- Mix well and serve immediately.
- Feed the daily vitamin-mineral supplement with the meal, give as a pill or pulverize and mix thoroughly mix with food before feeding.
- Refrigerate any unused portions. Discard unused food after 3 days.
Chi-town and krizzikate, Thank you for these ideas -- I add ginseng and spirulina to the mix -- and to crush eggshell -- this is superb!! I add garlic and brewers yeast to help keep bugs away also. Ooh -- to keep down the flea tic problems out here in AZ, I even use that last set of herbs add cinnamon to get pet and human pest control carpet / room freshener effect. The last three powders mix up reduce the insect situation and make the room smell delicious. Thanks again on this, eh? willeyes
My chihuahua loved this. It's much cheaper than the Caesar dog food she likes the best, so I will make this regularly. I will try ground chicken and turkey also, just for variety. If your dog is a picky eater, try this!!