Cook3 hrs 10 mins
Three words-- OH MY GOSH!!!! This is a recipe from Adriana's restaurant on The Hill in St. Louis, one of the greatest Italian neighborhoods in the country. This pie is so good it will leave you wanting more, even when you're full. It makes a LOT of extra sauce for you to save and use as you wish. I also make this ahead by only baking it for 15 minutes at first, then freezing it and baking it for an hour at a later time. Can you say "meat crust?" You will from now on... p.s. a reviewer says the recipe also appears on foodtv.com with slight variations.
- 680.38 g ground beef (I used 95%lean and it was fine)
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml grated parmesan cheese
- 9.85 ml salt
- 6.16 ml ground black pepper
- 709.77 ml cooked tubetti (tiny tubes or baby shells)
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 226.79 g provolone cheese, shredded
- 78.07 ml olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2.46 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 1587.57 g crushed tomatoes in puree
- 680.38 g tomato paste
- 566.99 g water
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml fresh basil leaf, torn
- 56.69 g romano cheese
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Read directions all the way through first********* Meat Crust: Mix ground beef, parsley, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl very gently.
- Do not overmix.
- Put mixture into lightly greased 10-inch pie plate or 11" x 7" casserole dish.
- Shape crust so that it's about 1" thick.
- Tomato Basil Sauce:.
- In large pot, cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil on low heat for 4 minutes only.
- Add tomatoes, paste, water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, sugar and basil leaves.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce to low heat.
- Add chunk of Romano cheese and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the filling (3 cups cooked pasta, 1/2 pound mozzarella, 1/2 pound provolone, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 2 cups tomato basil sauce) in a bowl.
- Scoop into meat crust.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- Top each slice with tomato basil sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.