1/4 Photos of Adriana's Pasta Pie
3 hrs 45 mins
3 hrs 10 mins
anchor girl's Note:
Three words-- OH MY GOSH!!!! This is a recipe from Adriana's restaurant on The Hill in St. Louis, one of the greatest Italian neighborhoods in the country. This pie is so good it will leave you wanting more, even when you're full. It makes a LOT of extra sauce for you to save and use as you wish. I also make this ahead by only baking it for 15 minutes at first, then freezing it and baking it for an hour at a later time. Can you say "meat crust?" You will from now on... p.s. a reviewer says the recipe also appears on foodtv.com with slight variations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used 95%lean and it was fine)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked tubetti (tiny tubes or baby shells)
- 1/2 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb provolone cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 56 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree
- 24 ounces tomato paste
- 20 ounces water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf, torn
- 2 ounces romano cheese
- parmesan cheese, for garnish
- 1Read directions all the way through first********* Meat Crust: Mix ground beef, parsley, bread crumbs, onion, eggs, 1/2 cup parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl very gently.
- 2Do not overmix.
- 3Put mixture into lightly greased 10-inch pie plate or 11" x 7" casserole dish.
- 4Shape crust so that it's about 1" thick.
- 5Tomato Basil Sauce:.
- 6In large pot, cook garlic and red pepper flakes in oil on low heat for 4 minutes only.
- 7Add tomatoes, paste, water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, sugar and basil leaves.
- 8Bring to boil.
- 9Reduce to low heat.
- 10Add chunk of Romano cheese and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- 12Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 13Mix the filling (3 cups cooked pasta, 1/2 pound mozzarella, 1/2 pound provolone, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese and 2 cups tomato basil sauce) in a bowl.
- 14Scoop into meat crust.
- 15Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- 16Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- 17Top each slice with tomato basil sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Adriana's Pasta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 776.1
- Calories from Fat 326
- Total Fat 36.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.4 g
- Cholesterol 150.4 mg
- Sodium 1930.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 42.5 g