Prep 6 mins
Cook 12 mins
These open face sandwiches will be a hit with the whole family!
For the bread
- 2 slices of cracked whole wheat bread
- mayonnaise, for spreading
For the topping
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup onion finely sliced onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices tomatoes, ½ inch-thick
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- finely shredded lettuce or fresh bean sprout, as desired
- Preheat the broiler.
- Arrange the bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat source for about 2 minutes per side, or until lightly toasted.
- (Or toast the bread in a toaster.) Spread 1 side of each slice with mayonnaise.
- To make the topping: Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add the mushrooms, zucchini, onion, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in the salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Combine the cheeses in a small bowl.
- Top each bread slice with 2 tomato slices, a sprinkling of pepper, and half of the sautéed vegetables, lettuce or bean sprouts, and the cheese mixture.
- Place the sandwiches on the baking sheet.
- Broil for about 2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Very delicious recipe. I left out the lettuce/sprouts and used a whole wheat french bread. We had them with a couscous salad. I will make these again for sure.
Made this with half of a turkish pide, WHAT a terrific, healthy feed! Also include fresh turkey dice, This recipe is VERY nice!
WOWEE! These are DELICIOUS and HEALTHY! I used cracked wheat sourdough and only about 2tsp of olive oil. I used creole seasoning on the saute and the bean sprouts option. We enjoyed these with a Vegan lentil soup for a nice Vegetarian meal. I will be making these again! Made for Photo Tag.