Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
I needed a side dish that would add some interest to an otherwise boring plate. My husband and I both had thirds! Most of the active work happens while the rice cooks. Then it's just easy assembly.
- 1 cup long grain and wild rice blend
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small sweet white onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 chipotle chile in adobo, seeded and chopped
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- Combine rice and chicken stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stir once, cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 - 55 minutes or until most liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 5 - 10 minutes more. Pour off any remaining liquid if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a medium skillet and sauté onion and garlic over medium heat until tender and golden. Add beans and tomatoes and cook gently until most tomato liquid is cooked off. Season to taste.
- Combine chipotle and cream cheese. Stir into hot rice until well mixed. Add shredded cheese, sour cream and sautéed vegetables. Check seasoning. Serve hot.
My husband loved this! He has asked me to put into his favorites cookbook. Thanks! Made for PAC game in the contests/events forum.