Recipe by cookiedog
This makes flavorful tacos. Make sure to cut up some of the grilled pineapple and put it in your taco with the meat. I sometimes make this using my grill pan. Recipe from Tacos by Susan Curtis and Daniel Hoyer.
- 4 lbs boneless pork loin, cut in half-inch slices
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 2 ancho chilies, and
- 2 guajillo chilies, toasted, stemmed, and seeded
- 1 tablespoon puree chipotle chile in adobo
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 1⁄2 ounces achiote paste
- 1⁄8 cup apple cider vinegar or 1⁄8 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 cloves
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 fresh ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut lengthwise in half-inch-thick slices, then lightly brushed with vegetable oil
- corn tortilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange slices of pork on a cutting board or smooth countertop between layers of plastic wrap. Using a meat-tenderizing mallet or a rolling pin, flatten the slices to form sheets about a quarter inch thick.
- Place chiles, onion, garlic, achiote, vinegar, honey, cilantro, oil, water, cloves, salt, and pepper in a blender and puree smooth.
- Spread mixture evenly over the sheets of pork and marinate in refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours. Remove from refrigerator 1/2 hour before cooking.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill or oven broiler to produce a medium-high heat.
- Place pineapple slices on grill alongside the marinated pork. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes on one side and turn over. Continue cooking until slightly charred and cooked through.
- Remove from heat, cover and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Cut pork in quarter-inch strips. Garnish: pineapple may be sliced small as well or served in large slices.
- Arrange on soft corn tortillas and top with garnishes.
- Serving suggestion: Serve with refried beans, Mexican rice and an assortment of condiments such as roasted jalapeno chiles, salsa, Mexican cheese, avocados, grilled onions, lime, and toasted oregano.