Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This hearty recipe was provided by a coworker who is Filipino. Serve over sticky rice.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- Combine all ingredients except cooking oil in pot and let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- Simmer covered for one hour until meat is tender. Drain and reserve sauce.
- Heal oil in skillet. Brown meat on all sides. Transfer to serving dish.
- Pour off remaining oil in skillet. Add reserved sauce and cook for a minute or two, scraping all brown bits sticking to the pan. Remove bay leaf. Pour sauce over meat and serve.
Very delicious!! Everyone in my family ate it up! The only problem they found with it was it smelled so good, everyone wanted to eat an hour before it was actually ready! lol
Be careful not to stir the mixture before it boils. This would help cook up the vinegar.
Delicious dinner! I thought the quantity of vinegar would be off putting, but I'm so glad to report that it didn't. I did as you requested and served over white rice. I also made Saucy Asian Bok Choy to accompany the dish. Thnx for sharing your recipe, Vicki. Made for ZWT6 as a member of the Voracious Vagabonds.