A great appetizer for Cinco de Mayo! This has gotten many compliments! Adapted from Cooking Light magazine.
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo (or to taste-I only use 1)
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro (1 bunch)
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatillo (about 4 medium)
- 1⁄4 cup minced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice (may sub lemon)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 8 (6 inch) white corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup block-style low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup goat cheese
- To prepare salsa:.
- Finely chop the chipotle peppers to measure 2 teaspoons. Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can, and set aside. Combine chiles, cilantro, tomatillos, onion, and 1/4 cup lime juice in a medium bowl; cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chips:.
- Combine 2 1/2 teaspoons lime juice, olive oil, adobo sauce, paprika, and cumin in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Brush 1 tortilla with about 1/4 teaspoon juice mixture, spreading to edge. Top with another tortilla; repeat procedure with lime juice mixture. Repeat procedure 6 more times (you will have 1 stack of 8 tortillas). Using a sharp knife, cut tortilla stack into 6 wedges. Place wedges in a single layer on baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes; turn over wedges. Bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- To prepare cheese:.
- Combine cream cheese and goat cheese in a small bowl; stir until blended. Spread cheese mix into a shallow 6-ounce ramekin or baking dish; cover with foil. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or just until warm. Enjoy!