Recipe by Chef*Lee
I love that chicken tamale pie at Trader Joe's. I created my own version so that I could have more for less money with fresher ingredients! I hope you like it!
Top Review by Spongebob Chefpants
This is awesome!!! It didn't take too long to make and it tastes like that pie at Trader Joe's!! I accidently put all three of my adobo peppers into my batter so I just added another one to my sour cream mix. It was spicy and good!! Thanks for the recipe!!!
- 1 cooked chicken breast, shredded into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
- 2⁄3 cup flour (I like whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄8 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄8 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can black beans, drained then mashed with a fork
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained (use 1/2 cup of the corn)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo (use 3 peppers out of the can)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl; mix mustard, flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in the milk, oil, and egg then mix until dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Chop 2 of your adobo peppers into little pieces and add them to the mix.(use food prep. gloves or wash your hands very well afterwards) Stir mix well to blend.
- Pour half the corn meal batter into an 8X8 glass baking dish and spread along the bottom.
- Gently press your mashed black beans on top of the corn meal batter in the dish.
- In a medium bowl; mix sour cream, 1/2 cup of the corn, your third adobo chile(chopped), cheese, and green chiles. Stir well then spread on top of the black bean layer.
- Place shredded chicken on top of the sour cream layer.
- Finally, spread the other half of the corn meal batter on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden. Let cool for a couple minutes then serve!