Another great Southwest recipe. The level of spiciness is your option. I like a lot of cayenne, but you can leave it out and still get great results.
- 4 pork loin chops (about 1 1/2- 2 pounds)
For the Seasoning Paste
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon adobo seasoning (seasoning salt ok)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2-2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (amount to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (Mexican limes preferred)
- 2 tablespoons oil (whatever type you use)
For the Baste
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white tequila
- 1 tablespoon lime juice (Mexican limes preferred)
- Mix together ingredients for seasoning paste in a small bowl.
- Spread paste on both sides of pork chops (reserving at least 1/4 cup paste) and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
- Prepare grill; oil grill rack before placing on fire.
- Mix together ingredients for baste, combining excess paste with ingredients for baste; set aside.
- Grill chops on medium-hot coals or heat for 5-8 minutes.
- Turn chops and grill for 4-6 minutes more, basting with grill baste.
- Turn chops and cook 2-3 minutes more, basting the other side.
- Remove from heat and allow to rest 5 minutes or so before serving.