Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Another often requested appetizer. You can adjust the seasonings and rub time to suit your tastes and desired level of heat.
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (give or take)
- 3 -4 lbs chicken wings (we prefer drumettes)
- Combine dry ingredients in a plastic bag, shake to mix.
- Be sure to break-up chunks of brown sugar.
- If using whole wings cut them into three pieces and reserve tips for stock.
- Coat chicken pieces with oil, use enough to just coat the chicken.
- Sprinkle the dry rub over the chicken and refrigerate for 1 hour (minimum).
- Now, here comes the adjustable part, the longer you keep the spice on the wings, the hotter they get.
- I've even frozen the wings with the rub on, apparently the cold temps don't stop the process because those wings were almost too hot to eat!
- Using the direct method, grill the wings over a charcoal or gas grill (turning often) until done, 15 minutes or so.
- Can be done under a broiler as well without too much sacrifice in flavor, but more to clean up.
Okay, wierd review coming up.....these were not at all hot to us. I marinated them about 8 hours, when i prepared them i was wondering what the "heat" would come from with the list of ingrediants. But....they were really tasty, the mixture of flavors was very good. I smoked them on the grill...they were so flavorful, and disappeared fast! So, even though they weren't what i expected, they still turned out great!
I am in love with the flavor. But also missed the heat. I can not say enough about the flavor. This recipe is so easy to make and bake or grill. I have saved the unsed dry ingredients in a air tight jar. It sure will be used over and over. Thank You..and Hugs