Recipe by Shirl (J) 831
A new twist on a old favorite. From my dear Ms Nola.
Top Review by awpbeals
These bars are delicious. I slightly reduced the amount of cloves, used homemade unsweetened applesauce. I won first prize in my women's club baking contest!! I highly recommend this recipe. Next time I'm gonna mg to add ground flax meal in place of some of the flour- but yum!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup margarine (or butter)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup egg beaters fat-free liquid egg product (or 1 large egg)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Over a medium mixing bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, add margarine and sugar. Using an electric mixer on high, beat mixture until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until well blended. Add applesauce, dates and nuts and, using a rubber spatula, stir until blended. Fold in flour mixture until well combined.
- Coat a 9-inch x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Pour into prepared pan and bake in center of oven 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Place on wire rack and cool completely in pan.
- When cooled, cut into bars. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving. Wrap bars and store in air-tight container.