Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
This isn't low-cal but it's good. When I was a little girl, Adele was a church lady who visited my mother and brought good eats with her...this was one of our favorites
- 6 medium potatoes, with skins on
- 8 slices crisp bacon (drain and save grease)
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion (or more)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- Boil 6 med. potatoes in skins till tender (don’t overcook) -Peel and slice thinly.
- Fry 8 slices of bacon till crisp (drain and save grease).
- Cook 1 cup thinly sliced onions (or more) in bacon grease in a skillet till yellow.
- Mix in 2 TBSP of flour, 4 heaping TB sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoons celery seed, dash of pepper.
- Gradually stir in 3/4 cup water and 1/2 cup vinegar.
- Cook, stirring until mixture boils. Boil 1 minute.
- Put layer of potatoes in a 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped bacon and 1/3 the sauce.
- Repeat 3 times finishing with bacon. Warm through in a 350 oven.