Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
A friend of mine worked at a bakery nearby and they were famous for their Hermits. When it closed she gave me this recipe. It never fails.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dissolve baking soda in water and have ready.
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add molasses, beaten egg and vanilla.
- Sift flour, spices and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time alternating with the water mixture. I start with the liquid and end with the liquid.
- Fold in raisins.
- Bake in narrow strips, two inches wide, on ungreased cookie sheet for twelve to fifteen minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Lately I have been using the new space age cookie liners.
- Cook until stays softly firm when touched with finger tip. Cool on rack. Cut diagonally with pizza cutter.
This is an OUTSTANDING hermit recipe and just what I was looking for. I needed more than 15 minutes of baking, but it may be because I fit 3 strips of dough on one large baking sheet. I didn't bother sifting the flour with the spices, I just whisked the dry ingredients together really well in a bowl. Also I measured out the molasses and dropped in an egg and the vanilla and beat well with a fork to save an extra mixing bowl for the egg. (I'm always looking for shortcuts that will save on dirty dishes!)
These were really good! Easy to make, followed directions as written and was very pleased with the outcome. I would not change a thing. Thank you for posting!! PAC-Fall07