Recipe by adelaide
A friend of mine worked at a bakery nearby and they were famous for their Hermits. When it closed she gave me this recipe. It never fails.
Top Review by 1-Nancy
This is an OUTSTANDING hermit recipe and just what I was looking for. I needed more than 15 minutes of baking, but it may be because I fit 3 strips of dough on one large baking sheet. I didn't bother sifting the flour with the spices, I just whisked the dry ingredients together really well in a bowl. Also I measured out the molasses and dropped in an egg and the vanilla and beat well with a fork to save an extra mixing bowl for the egg. (I'm always looking for shortcuts that will save on dirty dishes!)
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dissolve baking soda in water and have ready.
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add molasses, beaten egg and vanilla.
- Sift flour, spices and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time alternating with the water mixture. I start with the liquid and end with the liquid.
- Fold in raisins.
- Bake in narrow strips, two inches wide, on ungreased cookie sheet for twelve to fifteen minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Lately I have been using the new space age cookie liners.
- Cook until stays softly firm when touched with finger tip. Cool on rack. Cut diagonally with pizza cutter.