Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A friend of mine worked at a bakery nearby and they were famous for their Hermits. When it closed she gave me this recipe. It never fails.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Dissolve baking soda in water and have ready.
- Cream butter and sugar until light.
- Add molasses, beaten egg and vanilla.
- Sift flour, spices and salt together.
- Add dry ingredients a little at a time alternating with the water mixture. I start with the liquid and end with the liquid.
- Fold in raisins.
- Bake in narrow strips, two inches wide, on ungreased cookie sheet for twelve to fifteen minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Lately I have been using the new space age cookie liners.
- Cook until stays softly firm when touched with finger tip. Cool on rack. Cut diagonally with pizza cutter.