Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is SO good that we often have only this for supper so that we can eat lots of it. The recipe was given to us by a family member with years and years of experience cooking for huge crowds. It is especially scrumptious when the squash is garden-fresh.
- 16 ounces yellow squash
- 2 ounces butter
- 1 egg
- 5 saltine crackers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz (Mild or Hot)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup crumbled Fritos corn chips
- Boil sliced and peeled yellow squash and l onion until tender.
- Drain all liquid.
- Add 2 oz. of butter and 1 egg.
- Crumble saltine crackers into mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add 6 to 8 0z. of Cheez-Whiz (To taste).
- Mix together and put into casserole dish.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Just before finished baking, crumble Fritos on top. Add grated cheese if you like.
I chose this recipe for Spring Pac 2007. My family really liked it and it was different than many of the other squash recipes I've tried. My dd loved it and even my picky dh like it. I made it just the way it was written. Thanks for sharing!
We liked the flavor of this squash. I added the extra cheddar cheese to the top. Even my son-in-law who usually won't eat squash liked it. Thanks JKC. Bullwinkle