Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My mother gave me this recipe. She found it while clipping coupons. It is from S&W. This is the best stew I have ever eaten and my family requests me to make it quite frequently. It has become a "comfort food" for us. Perfect to make if you have leftovers after baking a large turkey or chicken. Can be made vegetarian or vegan if desired.
- 236.59 ml diced onion
- 1-2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 709.77 ml cooked chicken or 709.77 ml cooked turkey, diced or shredded
- 35.43 g package taco seasoning mix
- 2 (822.13 g) canready-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
- 425.24 g can black beans or 425.24 g can kidney beans, drained
- 248.05 g can whole kernel corn, drained
- 113.39 g can diced green chilies, drained
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 7.39 ml cornstarch
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until tender.
- Add cooked chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies.
- Blend broth and cornstarch; add to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cornbread for a hearty meal.
Excellent! I just finished making this and it is addictive!! I made a couple of minor adjustments simply because you do what you have to do… I used Rotel instead of green chiles, I didn’t have those on hand. I used a whole 14.5 ounce can of chicken broth because I hate left over stock (I always forget I have it in the freezer and someone will throw it out). The had to cook up the chicken in the soup pot first with salt, pepper and other spices, then added the onions and garlic. Once that was fully cooked I added the rest. Very yummy and really easy to make!!! The Rotel adds a nice zing to it if you like that!! Thanks for sharing!!!
This was a very tasty and hearty meal. My husband and I really enjoyed this recipe. To save time I used canned chicken and used the broth from the canned chicken. I added additional broth to the mixture due to personal preferences and since the soup was so hearty. We added cheese and sour cream to our individual bowls. Thank you for this recipe!
Do NOT use left-over turkey! The turkey has too much poultry flavoring which muddles any 'Mexican' taste.