My mother gave me this recipe. She found it while clipping coupons. It is from S&W. This is the best stew I have ever eaten and my family requests me to make it quite frequently. It has become a "comfort food" for us. Perfect to make if you have leftovers after baking a large turkey or chicken. Can be made vegetarian or vegan if desired.
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups cooked chicken or 3 cups cooked turkey, diced or shredded
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansready-cut diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans or 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cook onion and garlic in oil in large saucepan until tender.
- Add cooked chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes, beans, corn and chilies.
- Blend broth and cornstarch; add to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes; stirring occasionally.
- Serve with cornbread for a hearty meal.