I've always loved those bacon wrapped jalapenos that people make at BBQ's but I could never eat them without either burning my mouth from the molten cream cheese filling or squirting it out all over myself. Not to mention how difficult it is to try and figure out how to roast a whole jalapeno on the BBQ without the filling leaking out. So, I came up with this variation and it has been the first thing gone at every party since!!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut off the fattiest parts of the bacon and discard. (This is why you need a whole pound. You can leave the fat in but I find it's far more yummy if you just put in the meaty parts.) Dice up the meaty part of the bacon and cook just until chewy, removing the bacon and setting on a paper towel to drain.
- Remove all but about a tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan and add in diced shallot, cooking until tender.
- Put softened cream cheese, shallot, shredded cheese and bacon into a bowl and combine. You may not need to use all of the bacon but I like mine with LOTS : ).
- Cut the 12 jalapenos in half long ways and use a metal teaspoon to scrape out and discard the membrane and seeds. (If you really like heat you can leave some of the membrane but the seeds get tough and chewy so they need to come out.).
- Fill each of the jalapeno halves with the cream cheese mixture and arrange them on a large foil lined baking tray (something with sides.).
- Place tray in the oven and cook for 15-30mins. Cooking time varies depending on the size of the jalapenos and your oven. If you are within nose-shot of the oven you'll know when they're done. Just keep checking. You want the jalapenos to be cooked but firm.
This is a keeper! I doubled the recipe and used half yellow hots and half jalapenos and added a little garlic powder. They were gone in no time and everyone was asking for the recipe!