Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the PERFECT recipe that's easy, different, and will have people absolutely raving!
- 2 (5 ounce) packages long grain and wild rice blend (Mahatmas brand)
- 1 onion, chopped (yellow works best)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced (more or less to your liking)
- 3 cups asparagus, chopped in 1 . 5 in pieces (about 1 cluster total)
- 14 ounces chopped portabella mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- garlic salt (a few dashes to your liking)
- 1⁄2-1 cup pine nuts or 1⁄2-1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup craisins
- 1. Cook rice according to directions. About 2 minutes BEFORE rice is finished, add craisins and simmer until rice is cooked.
- 2. In a frying pan, add 1 can of broth, garlic, and onion. Simmer for about 2-3 minutes and then add the asparagus until cooked to your liking. Add mushrooms and cook for about 5 more minutes, more or less.
- 3. Drain any remaining broth and mix the onion mix with the rice and craisins.
- 4. Add vinegar & olive oil, mix well. Then add garlic salt and mix.
- 4. If using nuts, place then under a the broiler for a minute or two (watch them carefully so not to burn!) and then add them to the salad.
- 5. This dish can be served hot and is also quite tasty cold for a quick leftover dish!
We enjoyed this dish! I used Uncle Ben's Wild Rice mix and reduced the amounts of ingredients accordingly for 3 servings. I sauteed the onion, garlic and mushrooms in a little butter, added the broth and asparagus, then combined with the rice. I love the sweet cranberries, the crunchy pine nuts, a great tasting dish! Prepared for PAC SPRING 2010.