Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The secret ingredient in these soft cookies is COFFEE! Just like the French add a dash of black pepper to their chocolate, coffee adds that extra "something" to chocolate chip cookies. You won't be able to place the extra ingredient, but you will definitely feel that something subtle and great is in there. Beware if you are on a diet!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (I use Watkins double strength, it doesn't evaporate during baking like others tend to)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee (I use "Kava", it has 90% of the acidity neutralised)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) bag Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the sugars until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and instant coffee.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients by placing them in a plastic container with a lid and shaking them. Then gradually add the dry ingredients, beating them into the butter mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Roll dough into ping pong-sized balls with your palms and place 2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet 2 minutes, then place cookies on a cooling rack until almost cooled (the chocolate chips shouldn't be hard when you place them into your cookie jar if you like a soft cookie). The flavor combines overnight, so they are even better the second day (if they last that long)!
Now let's see if I can do this with one hand as the other has a Addicting Chocolate Chip Cookies in it, so it can feed my face LOL. I saying that these are good but like A Good Thing rating. I think I'll double the coffee next time.I will alos add some cinnamon, but that is just me as I love cinnamon. I used QUEEEN Vanilla bean paste which has vanilla seeds in it. this work well for me. thank you for posting this recipe :)
Melt-in-your-mouth delights. (: We loved the subtle flavor of coffee in these chocolate chip cookies and next time I think I'll double the coffee. (; Made for PAC 2007. Thanks for posting this, mojoloh! Keep those recipes coming. (:
These were absolutely wonderful cookies. We love chocolate chip cookies and we have rated these the BEST! I can't say enough about the soft, chewy, cookie with a rich, creamy chocolate flavour. The coffee enhances the cookie so much, taking it to a new level, producing a flavour that is unique and very complimentary to the chocolate chips. Most of the people who ate the cookies couldn't place the coffee flavor but all wanted the recipe. Kudos ... Kato