Recipe by catxx
Forget bland 1 minute oatmeal! Try this, my own favourite start to the day, and get addicted to the taste and the energy it provides. I eat this serve on my own, but most will want to share it. My husband loves it when I omit the polenta and add chopped banana instead - he eats it as a dessert!
Top Review by Anu
A good versatile recipe! I followed your instructions and cooked it for a full 20 minutes, without adding any excess water. Once it was done I added a good amount of wheat germ, golden syrup and cinnamon. I really liked the hint of coconut and the crunch of the almonds. Thanks for sharing this one, cattxx :)
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons polenta
- 1 teaspoon shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons soymilk (or 1 tbsp powdered milk)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2-1 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all dry ingredients in small saucepan, mix together with water.
- Simmer over low heat for approx.
- 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- As it thickens, add a little additional water to maintain the creamy texture (I like mine quite thick).
- It can be ready after about 10 minutes, but I find the flavour and texture best the longer I cook it- I just keep adding water until I'm ready to eat!
- I enjoy mine with a dob of butter (or dairy-free marg, these days), a generous sprinkling of brown sugar or honey, a handful of LSA (linseed, sunflower seeds and ground almonds- very high in Omega-3 and-6, the essential fatty acids), and soy milk.
- A great start to every day!