1 hr 10 mins
Barbell Bunny's Note:
A delicious and hearty Iranian dish made of aromatic basmati rice, lentils, caramelized onion, raisins, and spices. Serve with chicken or lamb, or enjoy as a vegetarian dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups lentils, soaked
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1 potato, sliced into thin rounds
- canola oil
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1In a large saucepan, bring salted water to a boil and simmer lentils on low for 20 - 30 minutes, or until tender. Drain water from lentils and set aside.
- 2In a pan, saute the onions and garlic in oil. Add raisins, dates, and spices, except saffron. Mix well and set aside.
- 3Cook rice as you would like. For a sure-fire way, I use my rice cooker. Rinse the rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Add to rice cooker and cover with 2 cups water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and a drizzle of oil. Cook. Once rice is done, transfer cooked rice to a large bowl.
- 4In the same pot (or your rice cooker), add oil to just cover the bottom surface. Add potato slices.
- 5Add a layer of rice.
- 6Add a layer of lentil-raisin mixture.
- 7Continue layering, ending with a final layer of rice.
- 8Cover and cook (on medium heat in a pot or just hit "cook" button on your rice cooker) for 10 minutes.
- 9Drizzle melted butter and saffron water over your rice.
- 10Cover the top of your pot or rice cooker with a tea towel to prevent steam from escaping, and top with lid.
- 11Cook on low for 30 minutes. You want to make the potatoes crispy, so they must cook slowly. In the rice cooker, I continuously hit the cook button so this process (called tadig) can happen. It's totally worth it!
Browse Our Top Iranian/Persian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Iranian/Persian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Adas Polo - Persian Rice With Lentils
Serving Size: 1 (439 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.5
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 702.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 141.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.2 g
- Sugars 37.3 g
- Protein 17.2 g