Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Spread on whole grain crackers or use as a vegetable dip.
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed and drained
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 dash turmeric
- 1⁄4 cup water, as needed
- Combine the lentils, 2 1/4 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a pot.
- Cook until the lentils are soft; drain and reserve stock.
- Heat oil in skillet and saute the onions and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add the parsley and spices then cook another minute; set aside.
- Combine the lentils, cooking water and onion mixture in a food processor, adding more water a tablespoon at a time, as needed, until the mixture reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Refrigerate a few hours before serving.