Recipe by Elmotoo
From "One Thousand And One Delights" by Nahda Salah. Posted for Zaar World Tour II.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
I love lentils and the fact that they are a healthy food choice is such a bonus! I used green lentils. At the beginning of step two, I added a generous pinch of cumin and, at the end of step two, I added several handfuls of chopped baby spinach leaves. In step three, I added one tablespoon of water and one tablespoon of white wine. Couldn't resist. Loved the blend of flavours. We enjoyed this warm and chilled, and since it is such a fabulously healthy choice - and very filling - I'll certainly be making it again, and probably tampering with it each time. Sorry, Elmotoo, I'm just not good at sticking to recipes: mine or anyone else's. Made for the October Vegan Swap.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs black lentils, about 3 cups (a good substitution is French green lentils)
- 1 quart water
- 2 peeled chopped potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 6 crushed garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped coriander
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil lentils in water for 15 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue cooking till lentils are tender, approximately 15 more minutes stirring occasionally.
- Fry garlic, coriander with tablespoon olive oil until slightly tender. Add to lentils.
- Mix flour with 2TB water & add to lentils.
- Cook 15 minutes more on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking/burning. Before serving add lemon juice.
- Serve hot or cold with pita bread as an appetizer.