Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
While studying in Ecuador, my host mom taught me to make hot chocolate their way. It's a very rich, filling dessert perfect for cold nights! I used the ingredients on hand; you can certainly substitute cocoa powder for the bittersweet or vice versa. Traditionally enjoyed with bread. Cinnamon is not traditional, but I like it. Let me know if you find any improvements!
- Heat the milk in a saucepan, being careful not to let it boil.
- Add the chocolate, cocoa powder, salt, and brown sugar, stirring constantly until the mixture is uniform.
- Pour half the mixture into a blender, add the eggs and cream cheese and blend on high until there are no chunks and the mixture has a nice foam.
- Pour this back into the saucepan, stir a couple times to mix everything, and SERVE IMMEDIATELY (a serving is about 2/3 cup). Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon if desired.
- If you let it on the stove too long, it will turn into pudding. Not that it won't still be delicious!