1/2 Photos of Adam's Favorite Creamy-Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
I use a large head of cauliflower because Adam thinks that this is the main course as well as appetizer and bed time snack. Normal people would only use about 3 cups of flowerettes (1/2 large head), if you cut back the cauliflower you may want to adjust the stock slightly. Serve this with warm buns.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs cauliflower, flowerettes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups light cream
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, fresh grated
- 1Break the cauliflower down into small flowerettes, chop some of the stems up into bite size pieces.
- 2Set the stock on the stove to boil.
- 3Add the chopped onions to the broth and season with salt and pepper. Let this boil until the onions are transparent.
- 4Add the cauliflower flowerettes and turn the heat down to a simmer. Cover the pot and keep at a simmer.
- 5Meanwhile, make a roux of the flour and butter over medium-low heat. Cook this while whisking until the flour slightly changes color (whisk constantly so it doesn't burn, and make sure it doesn't burn).
- 6Add the cream slowly, whisking in between each addition so that the lumps come out and the roux stays smooth. This mixture should always come back to a boil once the milk has been stirred in well, if it doesn't, turn the heat up!
- 7When all the cream has been added and the roux is thick and smooth (about the consistency of thick pudding) add it to the soup.
- 8Stir the soup well to incorporate the cream, and keep stirring until it comes up to a boil.
- 9Add the cheese, turn the heat down to low, cover and bring to a slow boil. Stir frequently so it doesn't burn on the bottom.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Adam's Favorite Creamy-Cheesy Cauliflower Soup
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 299.7
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.9 g
- Cholesterol 71.9 mg
- Sodium 517.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 10.9 g