I searched all over for a truly gluten-free swedish meatball recipe. One said, "serve over egg noodles" at the end - which is certainly NOT GF. Another included cream of celery soup and there is only one GF one out there and it is not condensed. So, I modified a recipe and it was a hit at the potluck. We aren't GF, but we have a lot of friends who are, so I always try to bring gluten free to potlucks.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (no fillers we use grass-fed)
- 1 lb sausage (Isernio's chicken sausage is GF and low fat)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal (Careful to use GF oats)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrin brand is GF)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (chopped fine)
- 2 teaspoons salted butter (be sure not contaminated with toast crumbs)
- 1/4 cup oat flour (made in blender from GF oats)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (GF)
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces sour cream (Daisy is GF)
- 1Combine first 7 ingredients to form meatballs.
- 2Mix well and form meatballs on parchment paper lined cookie sheets.
- 3Bake in oven about 30 minutes at 375°F.
- 4Turn half-way through.
- 5They are done when no longer pink.
- 6While meatballs are cooking, start sauce.
- 7Sautée mushrooms on medium heat in butter until dark brown and tender.
- 8Stir in oat flour and arrowroot powder.
- 9Stir in 3 cups of boiling water.
- 10Cook and stir until sauce is thick and bubbling.
- 11Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.
- 12Smother the cooked meatballs in sauce and serve over white or brown rice.
- 13For a potluck, place the meatballs and sauce in a crock pot on warm for up to 2 hours.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Actually Gluten Free Swedish Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (312 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.7
- Calories from Fat 298
- Total Fat 33.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 155.0 mg
- Sodium 854.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 30.6 g