This is the actual Panera Bread recipe. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked ham or 1/2 cup bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 sourdough bread bowls (or sourdough loaves hollowed out)
- 1In a large, heavy stockpot, melt butter or margarine.
- 2Add chopped vegetables.
- 3Add ham or bacon.
- 4Cook over medium heat until vegetables are slightly tender (about 10 minutes).
- 5Stir in flour.
- 6Stir in cornstarch.
- 7Cook, stirring constantly (about 3 minutes).
- 8Add broth and continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- 9Add milk.
- 10Add spices.
- 11Add cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted.
- 12To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- 13Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 14Serve piping hot in the hollowed out Sourdough bread bowls.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Actual Panera Bread Recipe for Hearty Cheese Soup in a Sourdough
Serving Size: 1 (499 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.3
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.8 g
- Cholesterol 138.3 mg
- Sodium 1165.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 32.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: