Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is the actual Panera Bread recipe. Enjoy!
Make and share this Actual Panera Bread Recipe for Hearty Cheese Soup in a Sourdough recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham or 1⁄2 cup bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 sourdough bread bowls (or sourdough loaves hollowed out)
- In a large, heavy stockpot, melt butter or margarine.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Add ham or bacon.
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables are slightly tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in cornstarch.
- Cook, stirring constantly (about 3 minutes).
- Add broth and continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add milk.
- Add spices.
- Add cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted.
- To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot in the hollowed out Sourdough bread bowls.
Yes, folks, it really is the recipe Panera uses. I found it, too, on their website.