Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is the actual Panera Bread recipe. Enjoy!
Make and share this Actual Panera Bread Recipe for Hearty Cheese Soup in a Sourdough recipe from Food.com.
- 5 tablespoons butter or 5 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup mixed mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cooked ham or 1⁄2 cup bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 sourdough bread bowls (or sourdough loaves hollowed out)
- In a large, heavy stockpot, melt butter or margarine.
- Add chopped vegetables.
- Add ham or bacon.
- Cook over medium heat until vegetables are slightly tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in cornstarch.
- Cook, stirring constantly (about 3 minutes).
- Add broth and continue stirring until slightly thickened.
- Add milk.
- Add spices.
- Add cheese gradually, stirring until cheese is melted.
- To avoid curdling, do not allow soup to boil after cheese is added.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve piping hot in the hollowed out Sourdough bread bowls.
Yes, folks, it really is the recipe Panera uses. I found it, too, on their website.