Recipe by mary winecoff
Whole and chopped Brazil Nuts can now be found in my area thanks to Trader Joe's and EarthFare. This is great recipe for a brazil nut filling. From an old Southern Living.
Top Review by Chef PotPie
This topping almost made the squash a dessert! I used brown sugar, (force of habit!), and otherwise followed the recipe. It was fabulous. I will make this often. ZWT 7 - Shady Ladies
- 3 acorn squash
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup brazil nut, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange rind, grated
- 3 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise; then scrape out seeds and stringy portions.
- Put dry ingredients, nuts and grated rind in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place squash halves in baking pan and fill with crumbly mixture.
- Set the bottom of the baking pan in hot water, cover and bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.