Whole and chopped Brazil Nuts can now be found in my area thanks to Trader Joe's and EarthFare. This is great recipe for a brazil nut filling. From an old Southern Living.
- Cut acorn squash in half lengthwise; then scrape out seeds and stringy portions.
- Put dry ingredients, nuts and grated rind in mixing bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Place squash halves in baking pan and fill with crumbly mixture.
- Set the bottom of the baking pan in hot water, cover and bake at 400F for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake 30 minutes longer.
This topping almost made the squash a dessert! I used brown sugar, (force of habit!), and otherwise followed the recipe. It was fabulous. I will make this often. ZWT 7 - Shady Ladies
This recipe is pure genius! The Brazil nuts are a wonderful addition to the spices! I reduced the recipe to 2.5 servings, which was one acorn squash. 1/4 cup of Brazil Nuts was the exact amount in the Planters Premium Select Mixed Nuts Tin! Thank you so much Mary..... I already have plans to make this fabulous recipe again!!! Divine!!
My only problem was that I bought what I thought was acorn squash, which turned out to be pepper squash- they must be a lot bigger because there wasn't nearly enough filling. I have to give this 5 stars, though, for being so tasty! I subbed oil for butter. Zaar Tag :-)