Recipe by Charlotte J
Top Review by Jenny Sanders
I thought this needed some tweaking, but the end result was a delicious, easy, inexpensive, low-fat veggie dish! I cut the spices in half; they were still more than sufficient and I think the called-for amount would have been overwhelming. I also doubled the amount of pineapple; it would have been somewhat lost otherwise. Since my pineapple was fresh, not canned, I added a teaspoonful of frozen pineapple juice concentrate to moisten it a little. I needed to bake my squash for about an hour and ten minutes before it was cooked. I'll be making this again.
- 1 large acorn squash
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds.
- Place each half, cut-side down on a nonstick baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until soft and tender.
- Meanwhile mix pineapple with spices and set aside.
- Now place squash into a baking dish.
- Divide pineapple mixture in half and place inside squash cavity.
- Return to oven and bake 5 more minutes or until pineapple mixture bubbles.
- Serve hot.
- You may want to try half the amount of spices first, then add the rest if needed.