Recipe by Hey Jude
I didn't care for acorn squash until I tried this recipe.
Top Review by Kree
These squash are terrific! I made them in the microwave instead of the oven. I also omitted the orange zest and juice due to personal preference, and used slightly less pecans than called for. The brown sugar made them nice and sweet, and the pecans gave them a great nutty taste and crunch. We'll definitely be making these again!
- 3 medium acorn squash
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped filberts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds and stringy stuff.
- Whip butter with a fork and cream in the brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and orange peel; beat in the orange juice, mix in the nuts.
- Pour 1/2 inch of water in a large baking pan and arrange the squash cut side up in it.
- Divide the butter mixture evenly among the squash cavities; cover the pan with lid or foil.
- Bake in a 375° oven for 40 minutes; uncover, spread sauce around inside of squash, and continue baking uncovered for 40 minutes more, or until brown and tender.