Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Some days I need a little inspiration. I knew that I would be baking squash for our Shabbat dinner tonight. And I knew it would have some delicious dried cranberries in it. I just wasn’t entirely sure what form it would all take. I looked around on the internet for a bit and saw this scrumptious looking recipe for a Southern style baked acorn squash and was on my way! Well, <a href="http://www.elanaspantry.com/cooked-veggies/acorn-squash-with-cranberry-apple-stuffing/" target="_blank">here it is</a>.
- 2 acorn squash
- boiling water
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (though if you can do dairy, butter works just as well)
- Cut squash in half and with a spoon, remove pulp and seeds.
- In a large pyrex baking dish place squash cut-side down.
- Pour 1/4-inch boiling water into pyrex dish (or use 1/4 inch room temperature apple juice for extra sweetness).
- Place dish in oven and bake squash for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, cranberries and cinnamon and grapeseed oil to make stuffing.
- Remove squash from the oven after the 30 minutes.
- Turn halves over and stuff center of each squash half with apple mixture.
- Return to oven and bake for 30-35 minutes (or longer) until squash and apples are tender.
This was a very simple dish that looks like it takes hard work. All of my kids tried it, which is better than I would have done at their ages. The two youngest liked it ok, the two older liked it a lot. I think it may have been a texture thing with the strings. We all thought it tasted like a mixture of a pumpkin pie and baked apple. I'm going to be making this for Thanksgiving too. Made and reviewed for Zaar Cookbook Tag - Thanks! :)
This is a simple and delicious way to eat Acorn Squash. I used apple juice instead of water in the baking dish. These were part of Christmas dinner and everyone enjoyed them.
made these for thanksgiving this year with just the addition of chopped walnuts. well received, nice flavor!