Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A healthy vegetarian recipe that is great in the winter months.
- 1⁄2 cup barley, cooked
- 1 apple, skinned, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 acorn squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- Cook the barley according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Mix diced apples, basil, walnuts, maple syrup and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Then combine with barley.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and membranes. Place cut side down in baking dish. (You can cut the ends off each half so it will sit flat.).
- Sprinkle each half with olive oil and place on a baking sheet or baking dish.
- Fill each cavity with the stuffing mix.
- Cover with foil.
- Bake covered at 350° F for one hour, remove the foil and bake for another 20 minutes or until the squash is tender and browned.
- Boil 1/2 cup of apple juice until it becomes syrup.
- Drizzle over the top of the squash before serving.