1 hr 10 mins
Wanted a savory squash recipe. Tweaked an existing one from Betty Crocker to make a side dish; now I've got a keeper that's a meal!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) acorn squash
- 3 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup apple, chopped, peeled (I used golden delicious, I'm sure any would work well)
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground pepper
- 1 cup seasoned stuffing mix (I used herbed, cubed bread stuffing)
- 1/4-1/2 cup water, depending on your preference for stuffing consistency
- 1/4 cup swiss cheese, shredded (I used deli slices that I finely cubed)
- 1Halve squash.
- 2Remove seeds and pulp.
- 3Place squash, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish.
- 4Add water.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 6In a medium saute or sauce pan over medium heat, cook bacon until some fat is rendered (3 min).
- 7Add onion and saute/sweat for 3 minutes-ish.
- 8Add sage, rosemary,thyme, and pepper (or anything else you'd like).
- 9Add apple and saute/sweat for 2 minutes-ish.
- 10Add garlic and saute/sweat for 2 minutes-ish.
- 11Drain if needed.
- 12Stir in stuffing mix and water.
- 13Once stuffing mix is moist, stir in cheese.
- 14Spoon stuffing into prepared squash.
- 15Cover with loosely with foil.
- 16Bake about 20 minutes more.
- 17I removed foil; topped with optional topping (below) and baked for last five minutes.
- 18Optional topping:.
- 19Mix bread crumbs and olive oil.
- 20Mix in parsley and green onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Acorn Squash With Bacon, Apple and Swiss
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.8
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 35.5 mg
- Sodium 317.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
seasoned stuffing mix