Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wanted a savory squash recipe. Tweaked an existing one from Betty Crocker to make a side dish; now I've got a keeper that's a meal!
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) acorn squash
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup apple, chopped, peeled (I used golden delicious, I'm sure any would work well)
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground pepper
- 1 cup seasoned stuffing mix (I used herbed, cubed bread stuffing)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup water, depending on your preference for stuffing consistency
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded (I used deli slices that I finely cubed)
- 1 tablespoon toasted breadcrumb (optional)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon olive oil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon green onion, sliced (optional)
- Halve squash.
- Remove seeds and pulp.
- Place squash, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish.
- Add water.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saute or sauce pan over medium heat, cook bacon until some fat is rendered (3 min).
- Add onion and saute/sweat for 3 minutes-ish.
- Add sage, rosemary,thyme, and pepper (or anything else you'd like).
- Add apple and saute/sweat for 2 minutes-ish.
- Add garlic and saute/sweat for 2 minutes-ish.
- Drain if needed.
- Stir in stuffing mix and water.
- Once stuffing mix is moist, stir in cheese.
- Spoon stuffing into prepared squash.
- Cover with loosely with foil.
- Bake about 20 minutes more.
- I removed foil; topped with optional topping (below) and baked for last five minutes.
- Optional topping:.
- Mix bread crumbs and olive oil.
- Mix in parsley and green onions.
Very Good for a savory dish. I substituted Turkey Bacon, but then needed to add some Extra Virgin Olive Oil to get the onions/apples/garlic to saute properly. I didn't use the optional topping, but next time would add a slice of swiss on top of each stuffed squash to give it a little extra cheesy goodness. I'll make this again!