- 2 medium acorn squash, halved and cleaned
- 226.79 g Italian sausage, casings removed
- 118.29 ml onion, sliced
- 473.18 ml pasta sauce
- 226.79 g penne, cooked
- 113.39 g mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Season the squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet, flesh side up and add 1/2 cup water to the pan. Cover with alluminum foil and bake until tender, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In a large saute pan, over medium heat, brown the sausage and onions, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the sausage and onions with the pasta sauce, pasta, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into the cavity of each squash. Place the filled squashes on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake until the squash is heated through and the cheese melts, about 20 minutes.