1 hr 10 mins
Pixie's Kitchen's Note:
A recipe my husband found on Vegetarian Times. Looks really good and perfect for the cooling Fall temps.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 12 ounces seitan
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups crumbled cornbread stuffing mix
- 2 teaspoons tamari or 2 teaspoons soy sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons umeboshi vinegar (to taste)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, as needed
- 6 acorn squash
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F Line baking pan with parchment paper.
- 2Cut each squash lengthwise in half (from tip to stem) then scoop out seeds and strings. Make a small slice on bottom of each half so it sits flat. With pastry brush, coat squash cavities with oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Place halves, cut side down, in prepared pan and roast until tender but still firm, about 30 minutes.
- 3In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent. Add seitan and cook 2 minutes. Stir in garlic, celery, bell pepper, mushrooms, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and remove from heat.
- 4In large bowl, combine cooked vegetables, cornbread, tamari, and vinegar and mix well. Stir in enough broth so that stuffing is moist enough to hold together when pressed but not soggy. Adjust seasoning to taste with tamari, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 5Remove squash from oven and reduce heat to 300°F Carefully turn squash; fill each cavity with 1/2 cup stuffing. Return squash to oven and bake until topping begins to brown, about 25 minutes. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Acorn Squash Stuffed With Herbed Cornbread Stuffing With Seitan
Serving Size: 1 (623 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 268.7
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 2370.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 9.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
cornbread stuffing mix