1/1 Photo of Acorn Squash Stuffed with Curried Meat
Barbara Steele's Note:
This recipe is from Apple Companion, which I found at Amish Acres in the heart of Indiana's Amish country. If you ever have a chance, pick up a copy of this cookbook! I have found most of the recipes to be outstanding, including this one, which I make at least once every fall or winter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large acorn squash (about 1 lb)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled & diced
- 1 large tart apple, cored & diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons good quality curry powder
- 1 lb ground lamb, beef or 1 lb turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1Cut acorn squash in half from stem to tip and scrape out seeds; set aside.
- 2In a heavy, non-reactive (such as enameled) skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 3Sauté onion for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Quick trick: Use one of those handy green peeling/coring/slicing units that attach to the counter with suction.
- 5You can find these at most stores for around$20if you dont have one, I recommend getting one.
- 6They work really well, and save lots of time!
- 7Core and slice the apple with the peeling arm wedged out of action.
- 8Slice the spiral to form small, uniform dice.
- 9Add the apple, garlic and curry powder to the skillet.
- 10Sauté, stirring, for about 3 more minutes, or until apple is beginning to soften and curry has become quite fragrant.
- 11Add lamb and mix thoroughly, breaking up chunks.
- 12Brown lamb and stir in cumin, cayenne and salt.
- 13Add cream; allow to boil and reduce until thick.
- 14Pack as much of the lamb mixture as possible into the hollowed out squash halves.
- 15Place the squash in a baking dish just large enough to hold them upright.
- 16Pour 1 inch of boiling water in the dish and cover tightly.
- 17If baking in the oven, use foil.
- 18If microwaving, use microwave-safe plastic wrap, ventilated with 2 slits.
- 19Bake in preheated 400 F degree oven for 1 hour, or at 70% power in microwave for about 25 minutes, until the flesh of the squash is tender when pierced with a fork.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Acorn Squash Stuffed with Curried Meat
Serving Size: 1 (706 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1229.2
- Calories from Fat 892
- Total Fat 99.1 g
- Saturated Fat 51.5 g
- Cholesterol 308.1 mg
- Sodium 1495.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 42.2 g