Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
The soup is served inside the acorn squash. Beautiful presentation. This recipe won over my new mother-in-law. I adapted this from a local symphony guild cookbook.
- 3 acorn squash, medium-sized
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- Prepare squash by leveling each end, cut each one in half, scoop out seeds and membranes from the centers.
- Place squash "bowls" on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the inside of each squash "bowl" with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Into each "bowl" place 1/6th of the onion, 1 piece of celery, a portion of the cheese (reserve 1/2 cup of the cheese for the final broiling) and a portion of the half and half.
- Top each squash "bowl" with a tablespoon of butter.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove foil and finish cooking by topping each bowl with the remaining cheedar cheese.
- Turn oven to broil. Broil squash "bowls" until cheese has melted and they are browned on top - usually takes about 1 minute to broil.