Recipe by Sharon123
This looks so good. Try it along with me, won't you? From Kosher Cooking.
Top Review by TattooedMamaof2
Very good! I omitted the honey and only used two tablespoons of syrup to cook with the squash. It still turned out a little sweet for my taste. Next time I won't use the sugar or syrup and cut back on the nutmeg. This recipe was good, and I will be making it again!
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 acorn squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce (store bought is fine)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a saucepan combine maple syrup, honey, and margarine. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until margarine is melted.
- Place the cut acorn squash into a microwaveable dish and pour syrup mixture over the chunks. Cover the dish with plastic wrap over it, and microwave about 12 or 15 minutes or until tender.
- Cool slightly, and then mash the squash and the syrup together.
- In a skillet heat the oil until hot and then add the onions and sugar.
- Reduce heat and cook until the onions are lightly golden.
- Set the mixture aside.
- While the acorn squash and onion mixtures are cooling cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions, drain them and set them aside.
- In another bowl combine the ricotta cheese with the egg and nutmeg; Spoon 1/3 of the spaghetti sauce on the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan.
- Lay 3 strips of cooked lasagna on top of the sauce.
- Then spread 1/2 of the ricotta mixture on top of the lasagna, Then spread 1/2 of the squash mixture on top of the ricotta, then 1/2 of the onions on top of the squash, and put 1/3 of the mozzarella on top of the onions.
- Then put 3 more strips of lasagna, at a 90 degree angle to the first three, on top.
- Spread the rest of the ricotta, squash, onions, and mozzarella on top, and then add a little bit of sauce, just to cover.
- Top with 3 more strips of lasagna (again, at a 90 degree angle to the previous three), and add a little more sauce to cover the lasagna on top.
- You want to have a nice firm lasagna not a sloppy runny mess so make sure that you don’t use too much spaghetti sauce.
- Bake, uncovered at 350°F for 40 to 50 minutes.
- This serves 6 to 8 people.