Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This tasty recipe is from Taste of Home. The leftovers, if there are any, are great hot or cold!
- 2 large acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 118.29 ml chopped green pepper
- 118.29 ml chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml plain yogurt
- 236.59 ml crumbled feta cheese
- 6.16 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper (optional)
- 59.14 ml sunflower seeds
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until tender; cool slightly. Carefully scoop out squash; place in a bowl and mash.
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add peppers; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and yogurt until blended. Stir in squash, onion mixture, feta cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
This was really good! The recipe wasn't all that visually pleasing (kind of looked boring on the plate) but the flavor was outstanding! I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing such a unique way to prepare acorn squash!
Excellent! Even people who don't like squash seem to really enjoy this dish! The sunflower seeds give it nice texture.