Recipe by Mercy
This tasty recipe is from Taste of Home. The leftovers, if there are any, are great hot or cold!
Top Review by L-Burden
This was really good! The recipe wasn't all that visually pleasing (kind of looked boring on the plate) but the flavor was outstanding! I will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing such a unique way to prepare acorn squash!
- 2 large acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until tender; cool slightly. Carefully scoop out squash; place in a bowl and mash.
- In a skillet, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Add peppers; saute until crisp-tender. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and yogurt until blended. Stir in squash, onion mixture, feta cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne if desired. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with sunflower kernels.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.