Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
- 2 lbs acorn squash
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Cut squash in half crosswise; remove seeds.
- Place squash, cut side down, in a shallow baking dish or pan.
- Add water to dish to depth of 1/2 inch.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and cool slightly.
- Scoop out pulp, discarding shells.
- Place pulp in container of an electric blender or food processor.
- Process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Combine pulp, cider and bourbon in heavy saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, and cook for 35 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in brown sugar and remaining ingredients.
- Cook 10 minutes or until mixture reaches spreading consistency.
- Serve with biscuits, english muffins or toast.
- Can also be served as a relish with pork or ham.
- Store in refrigerator.
I sped up the cooking of the squash considerably by placing it in the microwave for 10 minutes (covered with waxed paper). We enjoyed the taste and consistency. Thanks!
This was a great surprise for me. I didn't read 'butter' in the recipe name, nor did I read the directions all the way through before I made it. It was excellent on toast and I made several meals out of it. The only change I made was to use Wild Turkey Liqueur with honey because that is what I had on hand. Thanks for the recipe!