Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Everyday Food.
Make and share this Acorn Squash Bisque recipe from Food.com.
- 2 acorn squash (3 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- coarse salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave, plus more for garnish
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- Place squashes on a paper towel and microwave on high just until tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the microwave, and halve each squash lengthwise (to speed cooling). When cool enough to handle, scoop out and discard the seeds. Scrape out flesh into a bowl; discard skin. (To prepare in oven, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on a rimmed baking sheet; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast until almost tender when pierced wtih a knife, 15 to 25 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape out flesh, discard skin, and proceed with step 2).
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add squash, thyme, broth, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to medium, and cook until squash is very tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Working in batches, puree mixture in a blender until very smooth, about 1 minute. Return to pan; add half-and-half, and season generously with salt and pepper. Thin bisque, if needed, by adding more water. Serve garnished with thyme.
This is FANTASTIC! It tastes soooo much richer than it smells. This is really good. Thank you for posting it. I'll make this on a regular basis.
Very good! The microwave method for the squash was a huge help, cutting cooking time down by a lot. I also like that the squash size was listed, as it can vary so much. I didn't have thyme, so i used dried sage--about a teaspoon. And I used cream instead of half and half, again because it's what was on hand. Finally, I toasted and salted some pepitas to sprinkle on top, and they tasted great. Thanks!
!Delicioso! I absolutely love it! I had to do my own thing due to lack of ingredients. I only had about 1/4 of an onion, 2 chicken bouillon cubes with 2 cups of water and I used 1/4 whipping cream and 1/4 milk (lactaid) since I didn't have half and half. Plus, my squash was about 4.5 pounds. Even with my adjustments the recipe was delicious. The tastes are a combination of salty, sweet and a little spicy evenlly distributed. It's sure to be a hit. !Gracias!