1 hr 20 mins
This recipe is a meal-in-one dish. I love acorn squash, and was happy to find another way to use it in cooking. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
- 1 russet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (can also use a flavored tomato sauce of your choice)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place squash, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast until soft, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside four of the halves. Scoop flesh of the remaining two halves into a medium bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, place potato in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to a bare simmer. Cook until tender when pierced with a paring knife, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain; add potato to bowl with squash and mash with a fork until smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter; season with salt and pepper.
- 3Melt remaining tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion; saute until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add celery and garlic, and cook 1 minute. Add beef and oregano, and season with salt and pepper; continue cooking, breaking up beef with a wooden spoon until well browned, about 4 minutes.
- 4Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- 5Fill each reserved squash half with about 1/2 cup beef mixture; place in a baking dish. Top each half with about 1/3 cup potato mixture and sprinkle with cheese.
- 6Bake until mixture is heated through and tops just begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven, let sit for about 5 minutes, and then serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Acorn Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (599 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 525.8
- Calories from Fat 226
- Total Fat 25.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 97.8 mg
- Sodium 492.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 28.3 g