Recipe by Nyteglori
This recipe uses whole acorns. The acorns have to be prepared before hand and cooking time does not include acorn preparation time (directions below)
- 4 cups flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 cup honey
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup acorn, chopped
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the acorn meats into a pot with enough water to cover. Bring the water to a boil, then drain. Repeat 3 times or till the bitterness is gone (the water should be clear). Once you have leached the nuts, dry them on a cookie sheet in a low oven (about 200°F) for 2 or 3 hours - till the nuts become brittle. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Grease two loaf pans with margarine.
- Mix together all dry ingredients, thoroughly.
- Beat eggs, gradually adding milk. Add egg mixture alternately with honey to dry ingredients. Beat well.
- Stir in acorns and pour evenly into loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until golden.
- If bread is done, it will come out of pan easily when pan is turned over and tapped gently. If not, bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Remove bread from pan immediately when done and cool. This spicy bread always tastes better the second day when its flavors have had a chance to mellow and blend.