Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Acini di pepe, the Italian term for "peppercorns," also refers to tiny pearls of pasta. This dish goes well with lamb chops or grilled chicken.
- 1⁄2 lb acini di pepe pasta (1 1/4 cups) or 1⁄2 lb orzo pasta (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled french feta (3 ounces)
- lemon wedge, as an accompaniment
- Cook pasta in a 4- to 6- quart pot of boiling salted water, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until al dente, then drain well in a coarse-mesh sieve.
- Transfer to a bowl and keep warm, covered.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute garlic, red pepper flakes, and scallions, stirring occasionally, until garlic is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 4 minutes.
- Toss pasta with spinach mixture and feta until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.