Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Armenian appetizer. Armenia was the smallest of the former Soviet republics and borders Turkey and Georgia in Eastern Europe. If you can't find Farmer's cheese, substitute with ricotta or cottage cheese that has been drained. Prepare ahead of time.
- 1 cup farmer cheese
- 3 tablespoons walnuts, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- boston lettuce
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped coarsely
- pita bread, toasted triangles
- Process the farmer's cheese, finely chopped walnuts, and yogurt in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the cheese to a bowl and mix with herbs, garlic, and salt.
- Shape into a ball, cover, and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Line a small serving platter with several lettuce leaves and carefully transfer the cheese ball to the platter.
- Press the coarsely chopped walnuts into the ball so they more or less cover it.
- Serve with the toasted pita triangles or your bread or cracker of choice.