I just love the achiote seasoning found in the fish tacos in the Yucatan, so I decided to venture out and try to make the fish myself. . .success! Very simple too. I suggest serving with a squeeze of lime, a few slices of avocado and cilantro as a garnish. Adapted from a Ritz Carlton recipe in which they use this sauce to marinate whole red snappers.
- Mix achiote paste together all ingredients down to the salt/pepper.
- Place fish in a shallow baking dish and pour achiote marinade over top.
- Cover dish and place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Remove fish from marinade (discard marinade) and place fish on cookie sheet; let stand at room temp for 15 minutes.
- Turn oven broiler to high and let heat up for 3-5 minutes.
- Place fish under the broiler until cooked (it will flake easily and be opaque in color), approx 5-7 minutes depending upon the heat of oven and the thickness of the fish.
- Serve fillets atop saffron rice or serve in corn torillas for excellent fish tacos.